November 27, 2009

Books Bought

Last week a book fair took place in the Student Residence courtyard, and I bought six items:

  • Adam Smith The Wealth of Nations: I've made attempts to read a copy from the library before, but as it is quite long and comes in two volumes, and it is written in a style of English language not familiar to modern readers, I found it difficult to finish it all at once. Therefore I decided I should purchase a copy of myself.
  • Tim Harford The Undercover Economist: I remember Steven Levitt recommended it and it seems an interesting topic.
  • Bernhard Schlink The Reader: A high school Chinese literature teacher (who turned out to be my aunt) recommended it to me in summer. It is a novel related to World War II, and it has also be shot into a movie (and the heroine is beautiful).
  • Jostein Gaarder Sophie's World: A friend recommended it to me when I was seeking some novels to read. It is about the history of philosophy. It may make an interesting supplement to the Brief History of Western Philosophy I read in high school.
  • Mitch Albom Tuesdays with Morrie: I've seen this book elsewhere quite a lot before. The cover design is simple and fine.
  • Milton Crane (ed.) 50 Greatest Short Stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment