March 29, 2009

Quotes from the Conscience of a Liberal

Here are some quotes I made from Paul Krugman's Conscience of a Liberal. The reason why it is such a short list is not because of the book is lack of insights (in fact it is full of them), but I usually do not have a marker with me when I read (I usually carry a book with me everywhere).

If technology and globalization are the driving forces behind rising inequality, then Europe should be experiencing the same rise in inequality as the United States. (p. 140)

Republicans cut taxes on the rich and try to shrink government benefits and undermine the welfare state. Democrats raise taxes on the rich while trying to expand government benefits and strengthen the welfare state. (p. 158)

The rest of the reason why the American system works as well as it does is that the great majority of Americans who do have private health insurance get it through their employers. This is partly the result of history – during World War II companies weren’t allowed to raise wages to compete for workers, so many offered health benefits instead. (p. 224)

I believe in a relatively equal society, supported by institutions that limit extremes of wealth and poverty. I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. (p. 267)

You’re a liberal, whether you know it or not, if you believe that the United States should have universal health care. You’re a progressive if you participate in the effort to bring universal health care into being. (p. 268)
Krugman, Paul. The Conscience of a Liberal. London: Penguin Books. 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment